St. Johns River Water Management District St. Johns River Water Management District St. Johns River Water Management District St. Johns River Water Management District St. Johns River Water Management District St. Johns River Water Management District
St. Johns River Water Management District - floridaswater.com

Florida water management history

Water management in the 1900s: 1900 through 1949

1901

The Drainage by Counties Act of 1901 enabled landowners to petition counties to build ditches, dams and canals, issue bonds for construction, and tax for maintenance, enlargement and repair of works.

Early canal work allowed once wet land to be drained for development and farming.

Early canal work allowed once wet land to be drained for development and farming.

April 29, 1903

The Everglades were conveyed to the state by the federal government.

1905

A Board of Drainage Commissioners was created to oversee drainage in the state.

1907

The Everglades Drainage District was created. Between 1907 and 1929, it spent $18 million and built 440 miles of canals and levees.

1912

Workers completed the Intracoastal Waterway from Jacksonville to Miami.

1913

The General Drainage Act (Chapter 298 of Florida Statutes) provided for creation of drainage districts by petition of landowners.

1922

The C-1 Canal was built, carrying soils, nitrogen, phosphorus and large volumes of freshwater from the historical St. Johns River floodplain eastward to Turkey Creek and into the Indian River Lagoon.

1927

Camps Canal was constructed, draining Paynes Prairie and redirecting Paynes Creek into Orange Lake.

Sept. 16, 1928

A hurricane killed more than 1,800 people in towns south of Lake Okeechobee.

1929

The Florida Legislature created the Okeechobee Flood Control District, which took over many of the activities of the Everglades Drainage District.

1931–1945

Florida saw drought, saltwater contamination in wells along the coast, and fires in dry muck soils.

1932–1938

The Hoover Dike was constructed around Lake Okeechobee to contain further floods, and the Okeechobee Waterway (a 155-mile-long waterway from the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic Ocean by way of the Caloosahatchee River, Lake Okeechobee and the St. Lucie Canal) was authorized and completed.

A 1930s-era map shows Lake Okeechobee in south Florida.

A 1930s-era map shows Lake Okeechobee in south Florida.

July 1, 1933

The Florida State Board of Conservation was created to conserve Florida’s natural resources. It replaced three departments: the State Shell Fish Commission, the State Department of Game and Fresh Water Fish and the State Geological Survey. The Board consisted of the governor, the state supervisor of conservation, the secretary of state, the attorney general, the state comptroller, the state treasurer and the state superintendent of public instruction.

1935

Construction began on the Cross-Florida Barge Canal.

1937

The Florida Legislature adopted the Soil Conservation Act, authorizing soil and water conservation districts.

September 1937

Work was suspended on the Cross-Florida Barge Canal.

1939

The Southeastern Florida Joint Resources Investigation was initiated to prepare a long-range plan of land and water resources development.

1942

Muck farms around Lake Apopka began drainage water discharges into the lake. From 1942 to 1947, the farms expanded to 7,745 acres.

1944

Gov. Spessard L. Holland appointed a citizen’s committee to study Florida’s freshwater situation.

1947

Algal blooms were reported for the first time on Lake Apopka.

Sport fishing was popular at Lake Apopka in the early 1940s.

Lake Apopka was known for its sportfishing, but the good fishing declined as the lake deteriorated following the first report of an algal bloom in 1947.

1947

The Legislature established the Water Survey and Research Division within the State Board of Conservation as the state agency responsible for matters on water conservation and flood control.

1948

Congress passed the Flood Control Act and created the Central and Southern Flood Control Project. This system extended from Orlando in the north to the Everglades in the south and included most inflows and outflows to and from lake Okeechobee as well as parts of the upper St. Johns River. The system was to be designed and constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and operated and maintained by the state. The Citizen’s Committee on Water Control was appointed by Gov. Millard F. Caldwell to determine the most appropriate state organization to meet the conditions of the Central and Southern Project

1949

The Legislature created the Central and Southern Florida Flood Control District to assume responsibility for the project. The group took over the duties of the Okeechobee Flood Control District and, by 1955, the assets and liabilities of the Everglades Drainage District. The group became the South Florida Water Management District in 1977. In many ways, the creation of the group was a turning point in water management history. Flood control was the primary purpose of the group project, but it was also required to manage water supply and conservation, fish and wildlife, and other associated resources.

A map of Florida subdivided into its five water management districts

Careers

In this section
Highlights
More about
Careers

Contact us

In this section
Highlights
More about
Contact us

Search floridaswater.com

Governing Board meetings
Please see agendas for
specific meeting times, which
may differ monthly.

By accessing this site, you agree to accept terms and conditions of the District’s liability disclaimer.

St. Johns River Water Management District
4049 Reid Street, Palatka, FL 32177
(800) 725-5922