Regulatory newsletter
March 2017, Issue 9

Improving the permitting process: Your feedback is requested

The district continually seeks to improve the regulatory process so permits are issued quickly while ensuring resource protection and maintaining excellent customer service. As our customers, the district depends on your feedback to identify improvement areas. Is there a need for training on a particular regulatory requirement? Are further refinements to e-Permitting needed to enhance the user experience? Are you at an impasse on a particular project?

There are several ways to provide feedback:

  1. Contact staff in the Division of Regulatory Services. Key staff contacts are:
    • Palatka Headquarters (Environmental Resource Program Coordinator — Allen Baggett)
      Main switchboard: 386-329 4500
      Toll-free: 800-451 7106
    • Jacksonville Service Center (Regulatory Coordinator — David Miracle)
      Main switchboard: 904-730 6270
      Toll-free: 800-852 1563
    • Maitland Service Center (Regulatory Coordinator — Marc vonCanal)
      Main switchboard: 407-659 4800
      Toll-free: 877-228 1658
    • Palm Bay Service Center (Regulatory Coordinator — John Juilianna)
      Main switchboard: 321-984 4940
      Toll-free: 800-295 3264
  2. Contact the Office of Business and Administrative Services:
    • Call the Customer Service Help Line at 386-329-4570 for e-Permitting assistance
    • Send an email to for information on applications for a consumptive use permit (CUP), an environmental resource permit (ERP), and/or a water well construction permit
  3. Provide feedback via the Customer Service Survey. The survey link is provided when the district emails the permit to the permittee and consultant.
  4. Participate in upcoming Peer Review meetings.
    The spring 2017 schedule is:

    • March 29, 2017
      1:30–3 p.m.
      Palm Bay Service Center
      See flyer
    • April 6, 2017
      10:30 a.m.–12 p.m.
      Maitland Service Center
      See flyer
    • April 13, 2017
      1:30–3 p.m.
      DEP Northeast District Office
      See flyer
    • April 19, 2017
      10:30 a.m.–12 p.m.
      Palatka headquarters
      See flyer

    For more information, contact Heidi Bennett at 386-329-4513 or

  5. Contact the District Ombudsman. Permit applicants who need assistance resolving issues may contact the District’s Ombudsman, Joseph Lambert, at 407-659-4886 or

We value your input and look forward to hearing from you!

Payment of application fees electronically is fast and secure

Applicants and consultants may pay permit application fees electronically through the district’s e-Permitting site. This is much quicker and more efficient than physically delivering a check to a district office. Payments may be made online using either a checking account or credit card. Your payment is made using a secure, encrypted connection with Bank of America’s online payment site. Because these transactions are processed by Bank of America, the district and its employees do not have access to checking account or credit card information, nor is any of the information retained as part of the public record. Credit cards currently accepted are American Express, VISA and MasterCard, and receipts for online payments are immediately acknowledged via email.

Coming soon, the district will be switching vendors from Bank of America to ACI’s Worldwide Official Payments System, which includes the options to print a receipt and receive an email confirmation. The look will be a little different but, the payment process will continue to be user-friendly. The district is excited to be able to offer this feature to the public in the future.

Paper checks can also be used to submit the payment electronically. For example, if a consultant is given a check from their client, the consultant can enter the routing and account information on the check and submit electronically. The transaction will appear as an ACH withdrawal on the checking account statement. Please note that the consultant should request permission from the client before entering the data on the check.

For more information, contact customer support at 386-329-4570 or

Understanding the anaerobic conditions within a wet detention pond

It’s important to have the correct depth of water in a wet detention pond. The primary treatment mechanism within a wet detention pond is sedimentation. Many of the nutrients and metals removed from the water column settle and accumulate in the top few inches of the pond bottom sediments. If a pond is deep enough, it will have the tendency for thermal stratification, creating the potential for anaerobic conditions to develop at or near the pond bottom. It is important to maintain an aerobic environment throughout the entire water column within a wet detention pond in order to minimize the release of nutrients and metals from the bottom sediments.

The wet detention pond presumptive design criteria found in Section 8.0 of Part V of the district’s Applicant’s Handbook, Volume II includes a maximum pond depth of 12 feet, measured from the normal/control elevation to the pond bottom elevation (also known as the permanent pool volume). As an alternative, the designer can perform an aerobic depth analysis to demonstrate that a pond depth deeper than 12 feet is appropriate for the specific site conditions. By knowing the depth of the aerobic portion of the water column, the designer can determine whether an adequate aerobic permanent pool volume can be maintained throughout the year, and whether an aeration system is needed for the design. For pond designs that will be deeper than 12 feet, the designer is encouraged to meet with district staff before finalizing the pond design.

Unsure if your project needs a permit? Apply for a permit determination or verification of exemption

Through the district’s e-Permitting webpage or portal, you can apply for a permit determination if you are unsure of the type of environmental resource permit (ERP) you will need for your project, or you can apply for a formal verification of exemption if you believe your project is exempt from the need to obtain a permit.

Although you are not required, if you desire to obtain a verification of exemption letter from the district, you may do so by completing Form 62-330.050(1) “Request for Verification of Exemption.” After receiving a request, district regulatory staff will review the proposed activities and will formally verify whether those activities meet the criteria under Rule 62-330.051, Florida Administrative Code, or Sections 373.406 or 403.813 Florida Statutes. Determination costs vary; there is a $100 fee to request a formal verification of an exemption.

June 2017

Expediting the permitting process for replacement wells

Wells fail, and when they do, drilling a replacement well may become an urgent situation. A pre-application discussion with district regulatory staff will help expedite the consumptive use permit (CUP) permitting process for the well replacement. A pre-application meeting provides an opportunity to let regulatory staff know that an expedited request is being submitted and to discuss the information needed to obtain the permit modification for the replacement well. The pre-application meeting and letter requesting a permit modification may be completed by the well owner or their agent (consultant, water well contractor, etc.), as long as an authorized agent letter is provided along with the letter modification request. If you need assistance, agricultural entities should contact Ag Assistance Team member David McInnes at 386-227-0126 and all other CUP well types should call your nearest service center and ask to speak with a CUP hydrologist.

May 2017

What is the Mitigation Bank Search Tool?

If you’d like to learn more about mitigation banks permitted by the St. Johns River Water Management District, the district’s website contains a Mitigation Bank Search Tool that allows you to view information about mitigation banks. The webpage includes a mapping interface with various data layers, a frequently asked questions page, a link to the file which contains the permit, technical staff report, final approved plans, a detailed credit ledger, the type and availability of credit, the mitigation bank service area, the basin the mitigation bank is located in, contact information for each mitigation bank and much more.

For any questions or suggestions about the Mitigation Bank Search Tool or the Mitigation Banking Program, please contact Reid Hilliard, Technical Program Coordinator, at the district’s Maitland Service Center, 601 South Lake Destiny Road, Suite 200, Maitland, FL 32751; 407-659-4873 or

April 2017

What is the Annual Statement of Continuing Use Form?

Consumptive use permittees are required to maintain records of water quantity usage on a monthly basis for the life of the permit and provide those records to the district when requested. However, a consumptive use permit (CUP) holder whose total combined allocation is equal to or less than 100,000 gallons per day, on average, has a simplified way to confirm that they still use water in accordance with their permit. This is done by submitting the Annual Statement of Continuing Use form in lieu of submitting the EN-50 Water Use/Pumpage Report form.

The form includes the following questions:

  • Do you still own, lease or control the property on which the permitted withdrawal point(s) is located?
  • Did you use water for the purposes identified in the authorization statement (of the permit) during the past calendar year?

The Annual Statement of Continuing Use form is due by Jan. 31 each year and is located at the following link:

For assistance in submitting your Annual Statement of Continuing Use form via the e-Permitting portal, call 386-329-4570 or send an email to

March 2017

Upcoming 2017 Spring Schedule of Peer Review Meetings

Maintaining a strong connection with our customers allows Division of Regulatory Services staff to continually improve the regulatory process and ensure resource protection. One of the ways we stay in touch is through Peer Review meetings. These meetings are held in Jacksonville, Palatka, Maitland and Palm Bay to maximize our outreach across the district. This forum allows staff to share information on current events in the regulatory arena, permit process improvements and performance metrics associated with our ongoing efforts to streamline the permitting process. Most important, time is reserved to receive feedback from attendees on what is going well and where improvement is needed in the permitting services our staff provides.

  • Palm Bay, March 29, 1:30 p.m.
    Palm Bay Service Center, 525 Community College Parkway, S.E., Palm Bay
  • Maitland, April 6, 10:30 a.m.
    Maitland Service Center, 601 South Lake Destiny Road, Wekiva Conference Room, Maitland
  • Jacksonville, April 13, 1:30 p.m.
    Florida Department of Environmental Protection Northeast District Office, 8800 Baymeadows Way West, Suite 100, Jacksonville
  • Palatka, April 19, 10:30 a.m.
    District Headquarters, 4049 Reid St., Resource Management building, room 136a, Palatka

You are strongly encouraged to attend a Peer Review meeting at a location near you. For more information, contact Heidi Bennett at 386-329-4513 or