Permitting News You Can Use
November 2017, Issue 11

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers withdraws from joint permitting process

Docks on the St. Johns River in Jacksonville
Some types of dock construction fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and require permits to be built.

As of Oct. 1, 2017, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) is no longer participating in the Joint Permit Application process. If your project does not qualify for either an  SPGP V or SAJ-111 and your project requires a Corps permit, you must apply separately to the Corps using the appropriate federal application form for activities under federal jurisdiction.

Please see the Corps’ Jacksonville District Regulatory Sourcebook for more information about federal permitting, which contains a link to the Corps’ permit application form ENG 4345. It’s important to note: The Corps will not receive any new joint applications or continue processing any joint applications that are deemed incomplete as of Oct. 1, 2017. 

Consult with the Corps regarding applications that may impact wetlands or other surface waters to determine if the Corps requires a permit. Additional information, and the Corps permit application form, can be found online.

New application forms are under development by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and will become available when Florida’s statewide environmental resource permitting consistency (SWERP II) rules become effective. This will not affect the online application process for the St. Johns River Water Management District at this time.

Tips for renewing your consumptive use permit

Construction of a water Treatment Plant in the City of Lady Lake
Construction at the Lady Lake water treatment plant. Water supply utilities are permitted to distribute water through the district’s permitting program.

Consumptive use permits (CUPs) have an expiration date. If you wish to continue your water use beyond the permit expiration date, a permit renewal application must be received by the district before the permit expires.

Until there is a final decision on the renewal application, you generally can continue to use water under your existing permit. You can find the permit expiration date listed in the permit conditions on the e-Permitting webpage or you can contact district staff for assistance. If your permit will expire within one year, it is highly recommended that you request a pre-application meeting with district staff to discuss potential options for meeting your water needs. When it is time to submit a permit renewal application, the most efficient and effective way to do so is through the district’s e-Permitting webpage. Documents can be uploaded immediately to the appropriate application, thereby eliminating unnecessary delays or errors that could occur from emailing or mailing documents.

A significant number of CUPs are scheduled to expire in the next few years. If you have a permit that will expire within one year, district staff are eager to assist you.

Regulatory tip: How to sign and seal documents

e-Permitting Applicaiton/Permit Information Search screen

The St. Johns River Water Management District accepts two methods for electronic signing and sealing plans and other documents requiring a professional certification seal.

One method is to utilize third party software, which allows you to submit public key infrastructure (PKI) digitally signed documents. Examples of approved third-party software are:

  • ChosenSecurity
  • Entrust
  • GlobalSign
  • Verisign
  • IndenTrust

The second method is through the receipt of signature files containing the file names and secure hash standard (SHA) numbers of the plans, calculations or other file types. Once your permit application has been submitted, you will be able to create a pen signature file for the submittals you wish to sign. The signature file should contain the files and the SHA numbers of the documents you wish to sign and seal. Print the signature file, sign and seal the printed form, scan into your computer system and attach through “Document Management” or “Additional Documents” in the e-Permitting portal.

For the second method (use of SHA numbers), after login, you will be in your Dashboard Panel and able to see any pending and/or processed applications if you are the submitter or a team member. If you do not see the application/permit number you are looking for, you can add it at the top. Once there, scroll to the far right of the application and click on the manila folder icon. This brings you to the Document Management screen. Check the Signature File box, next to the Document Name(s) you are signing and sealing, click on the Generate Signature File radio button at the top, enter the name, type of professional registration and license number information in the appropriate boxes, then click the Create PDF button located at the bottom of the screen. A PDF form will be created for you so you can open, print, sign and place your seal.  Save the signed copy and upload the signed and sealed document to the application/permit by clicking on Attach New Document radio button at the top of the screen to complete the process.

If you have any difficulties with the above procedures, please contact the Customer Service Help Desk at or at 386-329-4570.

Help available to navigate district’s online permitting system

Do you need assistance with e-Permitting? If so, please call the district’s customer support line at 386-329-4570. Our experienced team members are skilled in using e-Permitting and they are excellent problem-solvers. They can also help you with questions regarding how to submit your permitting documents or any other technical support you may need.

You can also request training support online at and reach our e-Permitting customer support team by email at

Permitting tips

June 2017

Expediting the permitting process for replacement wells

Wells fail, and when they do, drilling a replacement well may become an urgent situation. A pre-application discussion with district regulatory staff will help expedite the consumptive use permit (CUP) permitting process for the well replacement. A pre-application meeting provides an opportunity to let regulatory staff know that an expedited request is being submitted and to discuss the information needed to obtain the permit modification for the replacement well. The pre-application meeting and letter requesting a permit modification may be completed by the well owner or their agent (consultant, water well contractor, etc.), as long as an authorized agent letter is provided along with the letter modification request. If you need assistance, agricultural entities should contact Ag Assistance Team member David McInnes at 386-227-0126 and all other CUP well types should call your nearest service center and ask to speak with a CUP hydrologist.

May 2017

What is the Mitigation Bank Search Tool?

If you’d like to learn more about mitigation banks permitted by the St. Johns River Water Management District, the district’s website contains a Mitigation Bank Search Tool that allows you to view information about mitigation banks. The webpage includes a mapping interface with various data layers, a frequently asked questions page, a link to the file which contains the permit, technical staff report, final approved plans, a detailed credit ledger, the type and availability of credit, the mitigation bank service area, the basin the mitigation bank is located in, contact information for each mitigation bank and much more.

For any questions or suggestions about the Mitigation Bank Search Tool or the Mitigation Banking Program, please contact Reid Hilliard, Technical Program Coordinator, at the district’s Maitland Service Center, 601 South Lake Destiny Road, Suite 200, Maitland, FL 32751; 407-659-4873 or

April 2017

What is the Annual Statement of Continuing Use Form?

Consumptive use permittees are required to maintain records of water quantity usage on a monthly basis for the life of the permit and provide those records to the district when requested. However, a consumptive use permit (CUP) holder whose total combined allocation is equal to or less than 100,000 gallons per day, on average, has a simplified way to confirm that they still use water in accordance with their permit. This is done by submitting the Annual Statement of Continuing Use form in lieu of submitting the EN-50 Water Use/Pumpage Report form.

The form includes the following questions:

  • Do you still own, lease or control the property on which the permitted withdrawal point(s) is located?
  • Did you use water for the purposes identified in the authorization statement (of the permit) during the past calendar year?

The Annual Statement of Continuing Use form is due by Jan. 31 each year and is located at the following link:

For assistance in submitting your Annual Statement of Continuing Use form via the e-Permitting portal, call 386-329-4570 or send an email to