Permitting News You Can Use

April 2018, Issue 12

Consumptive Use Permit Wetland Monitoring

The St. Johns River Water Management District recently revised Consumptive Use Permit (CUP) wetland monitoring protocols for utilities and larger users, and is working with those CUP permittees to implement the revised wetland monitoring methodology.

Some of the goals of the revised wetland monitoring methodology are to:

  1. Reduce or eliminate duplicate monitoring locations that overlap with existing monitoring being accomplished by other water use permittees or existing monitoring wells;
  2. Reduce or eliminate the number of monitoring locations with significant confounding factors;
  3. Modify the submittal of wetland monitoring reports from annually to five-year intervals; and,
  4. Focus monitoring efforts to produce more meaningful data.

Implementation of the new monitoring methodology may be accomplished through a simple letter modification to the existing CUP holder and a collaborative effort with district personnel (soil scientist, wetland scientist, etc.) and the permittee’s environmental consultant to identify the most suitable wetland monitoring locations.

District staff are scheduling meetings with current CUP holders to discuss the new monitoring methodology and to answer any questions regarding implementation of the revised monitoring methodology. For additional information, contact Kris Holmberg at 321-409-2121 or at

General permit for stormwater retrofit activities

Gabions (cage filled with rocks) on the banks of a creek

General permits may be issued for counties, municipalities and other agencies to conduct stormwater retrofit activities under 62-330.451, F.A.C. for improving existing stormwater and surface water systems. This general permit may be used in conjunction with exempt activities.

There are four types of activities authorized under this general permit:

  1. Construction or alteration that will add additional treatment or attenuation capacity and capability to an existing stormwater management system;
  2. The modification, reconstruction or relocation of an existing stormwater management system or stormwater discharge facility;
  3. Stabilization of eroding banks, and installation of structures such as gabions to limit sidebank erosion; and
  4. Excavation or dredging to remove sediments or other pollutants that have accumulated in existing surface waters as a result of stormwater runoff and stormwater discharges, provided the material removed is not deposited in existing wetlands or other surface waters.

The stormwater retrofit project should be designed, constructed and implemented so that it will not at any time during its construction or operation: cause or contribute to water quality violations; adversely affect the hydroperiod of wetlands; cause or contribute to increased flooding; add/or increase any chemical treatment; be operated by pumps or other mechanical or adjustable features; or adversely impact the maintenance of surface or groundwater levels or surface water flows established pursuant to Section 373.042, F.S. Work in wetlands and non-artificial surface waters shall be limited to no more than 0.5 acre.

In addition, all general permits must meet the General Conditions for all General Permits, 62-330.405, F.A.C., that include requirements to protect water quality and wildlife.

For more details, See Chapter 62-330, F.A.C. in the rules section of the district’s website.

Permitting tip: Adding team members to collaborate

Screen capture of tem members tab of the permitting application

Did you know that you can add team members to your e-Permitting application so that district staff are able to efficiently and effectively collaborate with you while you are in a pre-application mode? In your e-permitting application, navigate to the “Team Members” tab, then enter the reviewer’s district email address and click on the “District Staff” box.

Next, select which rights you want to assign the reviewer, and click on the “Add Team Member” button.

  • “Edit” rights will allow reviewer to view both the Application Form and Attachments, and also allows reviewers the rights to make changes or upload documents.
  • “View” rights will only allow reviewers to view the Application Form and Attachments.

With a few exceptions, most applications in e-Permitting have the option of adding a team member. So why not try it out today, add a district team member and start collaborating!

Permitting tips

June 2017

Expediting the permitting process for replacement wells

Wells fail, and when they do, drilling a replacement well may become an urgent situation. A pre-application discussion with district regulatory staff will help expedite the consumptive use permit (CUP) permitting process for the well replacement. A pre-application meeting provides an opportunity to let regulatory staff know that an expedited request is being submitted and to discuss the information needed to obtain the permit modification for the replacement well. The pre-application meeting and letter requesting a permit modification may be completed by the well owner or their agent (consultant, water well contractor, etc.), as long as an authorized agent letter is provided along with the letter modification request. If you need assistance, agricultural entities should contact Ag Assistance Team member David McInnes at 386-227-0126 and all other CUP well types should call your nearest service center and ask to speak with a CUP hydrologist.

May 2017

What is the Mitigation Bank Search Tool?

If you’d like to learn more about mitigation banks permitted by the St. Johns River Water Management District, the district’s website contains a Mitigation Bank Search Tool that allows you to view information about mitigation banks. The webpage includes a mapping interface with various data layers, a frequently asked questions page, a link to the file which contains the permit, technical staff report, final approved plans, a detailed credit ledger, the type and availability of credit, the mitigation bank service area, the basin the mitigation bank is located in, contact information for each mitigation bank and much more.

For any questions or suggestions about the Mitigation Bank Search Tool or the Mitigation Banking Program, please contact Reid Hilliard, Technical Program Coordinator, at the district’s Maitland Service Center, 601 South Lake Destiny Road, Suite 200, Maitland, FL 32751; 407-659-4873 or

April 2017

What is the Annual Statement of Continuing Use Form?

Consumptive use permittees are required to maintain records of water quantity usage on a monthly basis for the life of the permit and provide those records to the district when requested. However, a consumptive use permit (CUP) holder whose total combined allocation is equal to or less than 100,000 gallons per day, on average, has a simplified way to confirm that they still use water in accordance with their permit. This is done by submitting the Annual Statement of Continuing Use form in lieu of submitting the EN-50 Water Use/Pumpage Report form.

The form includes the following questions:

  • Do you still own, lease or control the property on which the permitted withdrawal point(s) is located?
  • Did you use water for the purposes identified in the authorization statement (of the permit) during the past calendar year?

The Annual Statement of Continuing Use form is due by Jan. 31 each year and is located at the following link:

For assistance in submitting your Annual Statement of Continuing Use form via the e-Permitting portal, call 386-329-4570 or send an email to