Teachers and students
In this section
Read an overview of what each grade level teaches and how you can get started with Odyssey.
- Third-grade overview
- Fourth-grade overview
- Fifth-grade overview
- Try games online
- System requirements
Students and their teachers enthusiastically join efforts to educate their families and neighbors about conserving water resources in a variety of creative ways. Learn how your school can participate.
The District has resources available for teachers to use in the classroom and in the field to make water a part of their school’s curricula. Check out these topics and professional development opportunities.
- Water conservation activities
- Lesson plans
- Grants resources for teachers
- Information links for educators
- Reading, literature connections
- Virtual tour of a public water supply plant
Have fun learning about water and find information that may help you with classroom reports at these links.
The Great Water OdysseySM is a fun, interactive, web-based educational program that teaches about water resources and their protection and conservation. It is available free to educators.
- Using the Odyssey program, third-, fourth- or fifth-grade students can be taught science, history, geography, social studies, reading and math in a fast-paced, engaging way that correlates to the Next Generation Sunshine State Standards. Odyssey nurtures a greater awareness and appreciation of Florida’s watersheds and their ecosystems, and promotes responsible actions for the health, protection and use of Florida’s water resources.
- Students’ knowledge can be tested with practice questions modeled after the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT) and students can be rewarded with educational games and certificates of completion.
- Introduces students to the world of water through an entertaining, interactive program.
- Features cartoon animation with friendly characters, voices and music.
- Incorporates multiple subjects.
- Enhances critical thinking skills and improves reading skills.
- Provides stories to read along with fun, challenging quizzes.
- Easy online access, instructional resources and student progress monitoring at your fingertips.
- Includes an educator’s manual for each grade level, background information, and learning and reading extensions.
How Odyssey can help achieve the educator’s objectives
- The program is correlated with the Next Generation Sunshine State Standards.
- Provides Florida-specific material to prepare for the Science FCAT.
- Provides an engaging, hands-on and fun learning experience.
- Develops an awareness of Florida’s fragile water resources.
- Develops positive water use behaviors.
With Odyssey, educators have the flexibility to teach from any grade level and any module, at his or her own pace.
For more information
To learn how you can use Odyssey in your classroom, contact: