In this section
- Leak detection
- Showers and baths
- Laundry and dishwashing
- Additional tips
- Florida Water StarSM indoor resources
Additional tips – indoors
The following are additional ways to save water and money inside your home.
- Do not use running water to thaw meat or other frozen foods. Defrost food overnight in the refrigerator or by using the defrost setting on your microwave.
- Install instant or on demand hot water in the kitchen so you don’t have to let the water run while it heats up.
- Insulate your water pipes. You’ll get hot water faster plus avoid wasting water while it heats up.
- Avoid installing a water-to-air heat pump or air-conditioning system. Newer air-to-air models are just as efficient and do not waste water.
- Install water-softening systems only when necessary. Save water and salt by only running the minimum amount of regenerations necessary to maintain water softness. Turn softeners off while on vacation. Also, consider installing a system capable of using potassium instead of sodium with demand-based regeneration.
- Never put water down the drain when there may be another use for it, such as watering a plant or cleaning.
- Replace leaky drain plugs in sinks and bathtubs.
- Store drinking water in the refrigerator instead of letting the tap run while you wait for cool water to flow.