PALATKA, Fla., Oct. 6, 2016 — Due to the potential effects of Hurricane Matthew, navigation through the Burrell Lock, Moss Bluff Lock and the Apopka Lock and Dam will be temporarily suspended as of noon today (Oct. 6).
The locks will remain closed through the weekend and will reopen on Monday, Oct. 10. Should the storm track change or the impacts be minimal, the locks may reopen earlier. Visit the district’s homepage, www.sjrwmd.com, for updates.
Other district information includes:
- Effective Wednesday at sunset, all district lands closed to public access and recreation and will remain closed until the staff have time to assess and clean up properties after the storm. Visit the district’s recreation webpage at http://www.sjrwmd.com/recreation/announcements.html for updates.
- It is expected the Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive will reopen Monday. Check the district’s social media sites and homepage for information about the reopening of the drive.
- All district offices are closed Thursday and Friday, Oct. 6-7, to prepare for hurricane impacts and to ensure employee safety.
- The district’s regular monthly governing board meeting will be held at the Palatka headquarters, 4049 Reid St., Palatka, on Tuesday, beginning at 9 a.m. Monday’s site visit in Volusia County is canceled.
- Ample water storage is available in both the Upper St. Johns River and Upper Ocklawaha River systems. Bookmark the storm page on the district’s website, http://www.sjrwmd.com/storm/, for easy access to flooding information, water levels, links to flood statements and warnings, river stages, local government emergency contacts, and other resources.
- Local governments are the primary entities responsible for emergency responses during storms, such as implementing state-of-emergency declarations, evacuations and rescue efforts during flood-related disasters. Homeowners can be prepared for heavy rains by keeping debris out of storm drains and ditches; reporting clogged ditches to local governments; and cleaning out gutters and extending downspouts at least four feet from structures.
- For information about office closings, visit the www.sjrwmd.com website or call the Palatka headquarters switchboard at 800-451-7106 for a recorded message.