Have fun and immerse yourself in learning more about water this summer
May 25, 2023
Raleigh’s Den is a fun, online resource to learn about Florida’s water (left). At right, children look for birds while visiting a District conservation area.
The calendar count down is on for the end of the school year or maybe you’ve been out of school for a few years. Either way, summertime is a great time to explore our free water-related opportunities in-person or virtually.
If you’re looking to get outdoors, you might want to visit one of the District’s conservation areas — land we purchased to protect water resources. There’s so much to do and there’s no admission fee. Camp under the stars, search for wildlife, cast a fishing line or just take a hike. Find a conservation area near you. We have a few suggestions on this website for fun activities you can do while visiting these Florida habitats. For an adventure in your own neighborhood, check out our scavenger hunt.
When a summer rainstorm or heat keeps you indoors, we have plenty of resources for children and adults. Visit the educational resources section where you’ll find water-related activities, water facts, stories to read and adventures through Raleigh’s Den to meet our District mascot or Snooks’ Cove to meet Sebastian and Luci, residents of the Indian River Lagoon. You’ll also find downloadable coloring and activity sheets.
Delve into many topics about our work through our WATERSPOUT podcast and through our webinar series.
Other resources on this website include the following:
- An interactive look at the water cycle and states of matter for elementary school-aged children (The Great Water OdysseySM).
- An introduction to District mascot Raleigh Otter, a tour of the St. Johns River and overview of water management in Florida.
- A tour of the Indian River Lagoon from the perspective of lagoon natives Sebastian and Lucie Snook, with info on seagrasses, mangroves and other unique lagoon tidbits.
- A collection of activity and coloring sheets to download, reading lists, lesson plans with videos.
- Test your knowledge with our list of water facts.